Stcw High Voltage Training A-iii/2(management Level)
About this course
Suitable for Chief Engineer Officers, Officers, Second Engineers, Engineer Surveyors, Marine Superintendents, serving Marine Electricians and ETO’s who require Certification in line with the obligations of the 2010 Manila Amendments to the STCW Code.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Gain knowledge in order to manage high voltage operations on board a ship
- Understanding of the high voltage system and the maintenance of distribution capability
- Required skills and knowledge to identify faults within a high voltage system and reconfigure the system to maintain electrical supply.
- Safety Regulations Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
- Maritime Legislation including Code of Safe Working Practice
- Safety Documentation including Permit to Work
- Authorisation Levels
- Effects of faults on Switchgear
- Switching and Isolation Plans
- Generators operation, Synchronisation and Load distribution
- HV/LV Protection Relays Practical, Primary and Secondary Testing Techniques and Procedures
- Practical use of Relays to set up Discrimination Schemes
- Practical Fault Finding on HV Switchgear and Generators
- Polarisation Techniques and Testing of Transformers and Motors
- Thermal Inspections
Each delegate will undertake an open book multiple-choice examination paper to demonstrate they have achieved the key learning outcomes detailed above.
MCA Approved Training Certificate.
Required Instructor Qualification/Experience
- SVQ Level 3 in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years experience in electrical plant and equipment Installations Experience
- A1 or equivalent Workplace Assessor
- MCA approved Training Instructor
3/8, course duration and times may vary depending on delegate numbers.
- Delegates are required to supply their own PPE.
- PPE Requirements: Safety Footwear, Coveralls, Safety Glasses, Gloves, Hard Hat
Notes to Customers
To set up a course specifically for your company or if the advertised dates are not suitable please contact the ASET Customer Service Team to enquire about additional dates.
Why ASET's High Voltage Training differs from that of its competitors in Scotland:
- ASET’s High Voltage equipment consists of a full range of HV and LV switchboards which can either be remotely switched through our Electric Control Panel or locally at the boards themselves
- The primary electrical supply comes from two of ASET’s Power Generator and VSD (Variable Synchronised Drives) which allows delegates the opportunity to synchronise and load share during training exercises
- ASET has two fully rated Transformers which feed between HV to LV boards
- ASET’s High Voltage technology and equipment is the most up-to-date consisting of Schneider fully rated Circuit Vacuum Breakers on the HV board and fully rated Air Circuit Breakers on our LV boards
- ASET training personnel take delegates through extensive training and assessment on all HV and LV boards using live electrical power which is simulated for safety reasons to 6.6Kv. This also includes delegates creating suitable switching and isolations.
Great training facilitators, passing on good knowledge and experience in the field on CompEx.
Modec Production Services Ghana
Instructor was a subject matter expert and a fountain of knowledge.
The course instructor was highly knowledgeable, described all methods of the course in a very easy way to understand. Overall excellent.
The course was excellent in delivery and content and I will recommend others for the course.
Course was very good. Would recommend to others
Course well-presented / managed with COVID restrictions in place.
TAQA Bratani Ltd
Great coaching from the Instructor who guided me well and shared experiences.
Very well explained and detailed course, learnt a lot.
Stork Technical Services
Toby has a wealth of knowledge and experience on the subject of DP. He delivers the course very well.
A very competent and experienced team. Assessor was first class and his previous experience was very clear. I will recommend ASET to my team and my company for OIM Assessment.
A well run course with the mix of theory and practical. Totally met my expectations. Facilities was very good with plenty of equipment & tools.
Excellent course which was both interesting and essential to my offshore role, would definitely recommend.
Good course and made very enjoyable through the amount of hands on experience we got.
Very good course with different scenarios. Instructors were good at escalating situations to get you thinking.
Instructors were excellent from start to end. Course was enjoyable – would recommend.
Good course produced, great setup of facilities and the instructor was very knowledgeable of all tests received.
Course was very well presented. All tutors were very helpful and friendly.
NG Bailey Limited
Excellent course, good opportunity to develop hands on skills - very helpful and approachable staff.
Excellent course – by far the best I have been on. Good mix of practical and theory. Instructor very knowledgeable and good training method.
arine “Very good interaction with the class by lecturer. Toby is knowledgeable, experienced and informative individual. His teaching techniques and approach to the subject are clear and precise. Toby has the ability to share the knowledge, technical and practical experience at its best to the students. I will look forward to participating in DP courses in the future.
Tutors, examples, experience and knowledge are an ASET when giving course training.
KCA Deutag Drilling Ltd
I thoroughly enjoyed the course, I would like to take further training here on Emergency Response. The instructors demonstrated excellent knowledge and information and made the scenarios as real as possible. It was a great insight and introduction.
Did above and beyond to accommodate me for my booking requirements, instructor was very knowledgeable and passionate on the topic. He also holds first-hand experience in the role.
The changes to this course very welcome. Ian has time to explain best practice and even corrected a few bad habits he noticed. Very happy this is probably the best course associated with my job.
Found this course very beneficial and I feel I will benefit from the knowledge gained from the instructor on this course in my workplace. Would definitely recommend to others.
Macduff Shellfish Ltd
Excellent course, right duration and opportunity for hands on switching exposure.
Instructor very experienced and knowledgeable. Good set up in Switch room/training area.
Excellent and informative.
Great course very good instructors, very well presented and made to feel at ease throughout the training I will recommend this course to others!
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and the way it was ran. Plenty of opportunities to work as a team and experience the new simulator.
As someone with limited knowledge of hydraulics this course was very beneficial. I learnt lots throughout the 3 days!
John fulfilled my expectations of the course and I can leave ASET feeling more comfortable completing isolations within my workplace.
Great course, very informative and practical. Austin and Graeme are excellent lecturers and a credit to the facility.
INEOS FPS Ltd
Course was organised very well. Tutors were very knowledgeable and helpful.
Very enjoyable course. Learnt and refreshed a lot of knowledge. Ian explains things very well and makes it easy to understand.
KCA Deutag Drilling
ASET have a better lab and knowledge base - they provided a better training experience than other places.
Strathclyde Partnership for Transport
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and feel I have learnt a lot
Very good course – lots of practical work.
ASET is definetly a world-class training institute this is clearly reflected in the overall course from booking training to completion. Toby is a very experienced teacher and had an excellent way of communicating course details as well as judging which sections needed extra time thank you Toby!
Saudi Aramco Rowan Offshore Drilling
Steve was very helpful, knows what he is talking about and communicates it well. Very good practical side to the course.
MJ HVAC ltd
Great update of boards since I came 6 years ago, great facility with huge investments being made.
Diageo Malt Distilling
Really enjoyed this course thoroughly, Ian's teaching style, attitude and approach is first class this was truly and enjoyable course and I got 100% out of it. The instructor delivers the content in a perfect level - I would recommend this!
Usual high standard of coaching and assessment - see you in 3 years!
Good well instructed course. Team were excellent and made me fully at ease.
John James Penman
Excellent set up and scenarios. Very experienced Instructors.
The plant area is an excellent training area. Useful for training in a safe and clean environment.
Kevin was extremely knowledgeable about pressure testing I would highly recommend anyone to take the course from Kevin.
Bluewater Services UK
Excellent materials provided, delivery of content excellent – clear and concise.
Excellent course, well presented by the Instructor. Course certainly makes you think (which is good).
Excellent course and well instructed. Facilities on campus are excellent.
Excellent course with good instructors - the ASET facility was superb!
Spirit Energy Production UK Limited
“Highly professional course, very helpful instructors who have delivered substantial relevant knowledge within the scope of all discussed issues/topics and were always there to answer any questions and clarify any uncertainties. I will definitely recommend this course and ASET Training Academy to all my friends and also will be very happy to refresh the course in five years time.
Excellent course for me, first time on a jack up course. Ian is a mine of information on jack ups and semi-subs!
Petrofac Offshore Project and Engineering