Compex 3-day Competence Based Course Electrical & Instrumentation Equipment In Explosive Dust Atmospheres
|11 Jul - 13 Jul 2022||08:30 - 16:30||£709.00 + VAT||Altens Centre||2|
|12 Sep - 14 Sep 2022||08:30 - 16:30||£709.00 + VAT||Altens Centre||2|
|14 Nov - 16 Nov 2022||08:30 - 16:30||£709.00 + VAT||Altens Centre||4|
About this course
This qualification is suitable for electrotechnical personnel who work on the physical installation and assembly of new ‘Ex’ equipment and perform preventive maintenance and inspections on previously installed equipment in hazardous dust atmospheres.
Key Learning Outcomes
- The ability to identify the correct national regulations, directives and IEC standards which are applicable to hazardous dust locations.
- Understanding of the correct criteria and descriptors used to classify a hazardous dust location.
- Ability to recognise the correct characteristics of common hazardous dust, fibres and flyings.
- Demonstrate an underpinning knowledge of how Ex electrical equipment is certified, how it maintains its protection concept and how it is to be selected, installed, inspected and maintained.
- Understand the correct test value readings for IS and non-IS installations and equipment.
- Knowledge and skills to use IEC inspection table 1 and table 2 and associated information.
- Ability to interpret IS documentation.
- Identify and record faults at the correct grade of inspection and have the ability to recommend correct remedial action and use correct IEC inspection codes.
- Recognise the need to prove an isolation on electrical equipment prior to carrying out a detailed inspection.
- Directives and relevant standards for selection, installation and inspection
- Ignition temperature of combustible dust clouds; & dust layers
- Combustible dust groups
- Area classification and recommended representations for combustible dust area classification diagrams
- Equipment protection types
- Equipment marking
- Practices ‘A’ and ‘B’ for the selection of equipment
- Minimum requirements for ingress protection
- Consideration of equipment for use in combustible dust
- Selection and installation of equipment
- Inspection of equipment
Each delegate will undertake a multiple-choice examination paper and practical exercises to demonstrate they have achieved the key learning outcomes detailed above.
CompEx National Certificate of Core Competence, valid for 5-years from date awarded.
Note: non-electrical/instrumentation personnel who complete the course are issued with an NEC CompEx Certificate.
Required Instructor Qualification/Experience
- SVQ Level 3 in Electrical Engineering/Instrumentation Engineering or equivalent
- Industrial experience with electrical and instrumentation equipment in combustible dust atmospheres and CompEx
- A1 or equivalent Workplace Assessor
- CompEx approved Training Instructor
2/4,course duration and times may vary depending on delegate numbers. Individual delegate finishing time will depend on the length of time taken for assessment.
Before attending this course candidates should have successfully completed one of the following:
- Delegates are required to provide their own PPE
- Evidence of relevant vocational qualifications, either electrical or instrumentation, on starting the course (e,g, Apprenticeship certificate, Level 3 NVQ/SVQ or ECS/SJIB card).
Notes to Customers
To set up a course specifically for your company, or if the dates above are not suitable, please contact the ASET Customer Service Team for additional dates.
Great coaching from the Instructor who guided me well and shared experiences.
Excellent course and well instructed. Facilities on campus are excellent.
Good course produced, great setup of facilities and the instructor was very knowledgeable of all tests received.
Excellent set up and scenarios. Very experienced Instructors.
Instructor very experienced and knowledgeable. Good set up in Switch room/training area.
A very competent and experienced team. Assessor was first class and his previous experience was very clear. I will recommend ASET to my team and my company for OIM Assessment.
Steve was very helpful, knows what he is talking about and communicates it well. Very good practical side to the course.
MJ HVAC ltd
Excellent materials provided, delivery of content excellent – clear and concise.
Excellent course which was both interesting and essential to my offshore role, would definitely recommend.
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and the way it was ran. Plenty of opportunities to work as a team and experience the new simulator.
Very good course – lots of practical work.
Very well explained and detailed course, learnt a lot.
Stork Technical Services
Course was very well presented. All tutors were very helpful and friendly.
NG Bailey Limited
arine “Very good interaction with the class by lecturer. Toby is knowledgeable, experienced and informative individual. His teaching techniques and approach to the subject are clear and precise. Toby has the ability to share the knowledge, technical and practical experience at its best to the students. I will look forward to participating in DP courses in the future.
Course well-presented / managed with COVID restrictions in place.
TAQA Bratani Ltd
Instructor was a subject matter expert and a fountain of knowledge.
Excellent course, well presented by the Instructor. Course certainly makes you think (which is good).
Found this course very beneficial and I feel I will benefit from the knowledge gained from the instructor on this course in my workplace. Would definitely recommend to others.
Macduff Shellfish Ltd
Well structured. Excellent feedback and advice from the assessor.
Chrysaor E & P Services UK
Excellent and informative.
A well run course with the mix of theory and practical. Totally met my expectations. Facilities was very good with plenty of equipment & tools.
“Highly professional course, very helpful instructors who have delivered substantial relevant knowledge within the scope of all discussed issues/topics and were always there to answer any questions and clarify any uncertainties. I will definitely recommend this course and ASET Training Academy to all my friends and also will be very happy to refresh the course in five years time.
The course was excellent in delivery and content and I will recommend others for the course.
Good well instructed course. Team were excellent and made me fully at ease.
John James Penman
Good course and made very enjoyable through the amount of hands on experience we got.
The changes to this course very welcome. Ian has time to explain best practice and even corrected a few bad habits he noticed. Very happy this is probably the best course associated with my job.
Excellent course, right duration and opportunity for hands on switching exposure.
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and feel I have learnt a lot
Toby has a wealth of knowledge and experience on the subject of DP. He delivers the course very well.
Very enjoyable course. Learnt and refreshed a lot of knowledge. Ian explains things very well and makes it easy to understand.
KCA Deutag Drilling
Course was very good. Would recommend to others
The plant area is an excellent training area. Useful for training in a safe and clean environment.
Excellent course – by far the best I have been on. Good mix of practical and theory. Instructor very knowledgeable and good training method.
Instructors were excellent from start to end. Course was enjoyable – would recommend.
Course was organised very well. Tutors were very knowledgeable and helpful.
The course instructor was highly knowledgeable, described all methods of the course in a very easy way to understand. Overall excellent.