Practical Diesel Engine Overhaul
About this course
This course is a Credit Rated and Levelled course which leads to a formal qualification upon completion. The course is recognised within the SCQF framework and contributes to an individual’s Continued Professional Development (CPD).
Technicians and engineers, who in performing their normal duties, will be required to carry out major dismantling and rebuild of diesel engines. Delegates must possess basic mechanical skills in use of hand tools and precision measurement
Key Learning Outcomes:
- To familiarise delegates with the construction and operating principles of diesel engines. To provide delegates with the necessary knowledge and skills to be able to dismantle, inspect parts, check dimensions and clearances, rebuild and performance test diesel engines to introduce delegates to the fault finding
- Presentation on diesel engine construction, operating principles
- Prepare for and carry out a full diesel engine strip down, maintaining correct orientation of parts
- Take appropriate measures to protect and preserve fine tolerance machined component
- Use safe and appropriate dismantling methods and aids
- Check wear dimensions, fits and running clearances on crankshaft bearings, pistons, cylinder liners etc. and choose appropriate remedial actions when these are out of tolerance
- Perform non destructive examination of components using dye penetrant, magnetic particle and visual inspection techniques
- Rebuild the diesel engine applying bolt torques,setting clearances and following assembly procedures as prescribed in the makers manual
- Test, overhaul and adjust fuel injectors
- Install all ancillary components and carry out compression test, coolant system leak test, set fuel pump timing & bleed fuel lines
- Start, run and test a diesel engine, fault finding and resolving starting and running problems.
SCQF Credit Rated & Levelled Certificate.
Required Instructor Qualification/Experience
• SVQ Level 3 in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
• Minimum 5 years relevant industry experience
• A1 or equivalent Workplace Assessor
• ASET approved Training Instructor
Delegates are required to supply their own PPE.
Notes to Customers
To set up a course specifically for your company or if the dates above are not suitable please contact ASET Customer Service Team for additional dates.
Good course produced, great setup of facilities and the instructor was very knowledgeable of all tests received.
Well structured. Excellent feedback and advice from the assessor.
Chrysaor E & P Services UK
Very good course – lots of practical work.
The course instructor was highly knowledgeable, described all methods of the course in a very easy way to understand. Overall excellent.
The plant area is an excellent training area. Useful for training in a safe and clean environment.
Excellent course – by far the best I have been on. Good mix of practical and theory. Instructor very knowledgeable and good training method.
Very enjoyable course. Learnt and refreshed a lot of knowledge. Ian explains things very well and makes it easy to understand.
KCA Deutag Drilling
Toby has a wealth of knowledge and experience on the subject of DP. He delivers the course very well.
Instructor was a subject matter expert and a fountain of knowledge.
arine “Very good interaction with the class by lecturer. Toby is knowledgeable, experienced and informative individual. His teaching techniques and approach to the subject are clear and precise. Toby has the ability to share the knowledge, technical and practical experience at its best to the students. I will look forward to participating in DP courses in the future.
Great coaching from the Instructor who guided me well and shared experiences.
The changes to this course very welcome. Ian has time to explain best practice and even corrected a few bad habits he noticed. Very happy this is probably the best course associated with my job.
Excellent course, right duration and opportunity for hands on switching exposure.
Excellent and informative.
Very well explained and detailed course, learnt a lot.
Stork Technical Services
Excellent course and well instructed. Facilities on campus are excellent.
Good course and made very enjoyable through the amount of hands on experience we got.
Excellent set up and scenarios. Very experienced Instructors.
Excellent course, well presented by the Instructor. Course certainly makes you think (which is good).
A well run course with the mix of theory and practical. Totally met my expectations. Facilities was very good with plenty of equipment & tools.
Course was organised very well. Tutors were very knowledgeable and helpful.
Good well instructed course. Team were excellent and made me fully at ease.
John James Penman
Excellent materials provided, delivery of content excellent – clear and concise.
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and the way it was ran. Plenty of opportunities to work as a team and experience the new simulator.
Course was very good. Would recommend to others
“Highly professional course, very helpful instructors who have delivered substantial relevant knowledge within the scope of all discussed issues/topics and were always there to answer any questions and clarify any uncertainties. I will definitely recommend this course and ASET Training Academy to all my friends and also will be very happy to refresh the course in five years time.
Found this course very beneficial and I feel I will benefit from the knowledge gained from the instructor on this course in my workplace. Would definitely recommend to others.
Macduff Shellfish Ltd
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and feel I have learnt a lot
Steve was very helpful, knows what he is talking about and communicates it well. Very good practical side to the course.
MJ HVAC ltd
Excellent course which was both interesting and essential to my offshore role, would definitely recommend.
The course was excellent in delivery and content and I will recommend others for the course.
Course well-presented / managed with COVID restrictions in place.
TAQA Bratani Ltd
Course was very well presented. All tutors were very helpful and friendly.
NG Bailey Limited
A very competent and experienced team. Assessor was first class and his previous experience was very clear. I will recommend ASET to my team and my company for OIM Assessment.
Instructors were excellent from start to end. Course was enjoyable – would recommend.
Instructor very experienced and knowledgeable. Good set up in Switch room/training area.